Marine Audio

Bigross

Guys,

Upgrading the tunes on my ride..head, speakers, sub, blue tooth, etc......thinking of brand of equipment.

Looking for feedback... Alpine versus JL Audio....anyone have any experience?

I like Kenwood and Clarion, great units, I had both and Clarion now. Great subwoofers and amps. It's really personal to choose audio equipment. Listen to a few different setups. Good luck.

Go Kenwood for the headunit...you can get bluetooth and compatible with marine remotes. JL for amp and speakers...nothing else is better.

I went with Focal in the arch. 5.25s on the top and then 2 pairs of 6.5s on the sides (custom install). They are not marine but it never gets wet up there. Running JBL amps.

I recommend the JL stuff, they make nice marine equipment. I would go with the highest quality you can find rather than adding more speakers to compensate.

JL or Wetsounds for speakers, they are the bomb for sure. IMO the head unit needs to be compatible with how you want to use it. Bluetooth,ipod,cd, etc. you gonna install in the cabin or on deck, do you want remotes, wireless or IR, lots of things to consider. you gotta kinda figure out what you want it to do before you go shopping or you'll drive yourself crazy trying to narrow down the options. as an example, we wanted to do away with cd's, we wanted ipod control, we wanted to be able to add 2 wired remotes and we wanted to be able to use our sirius plug-n-play head unit. we got it all in the Kenwood KMR700U. it ain't bluetooth compatible though and that may be an important feature for you. so much stuff to choose from but take a look at the Fusion products too, they are good stuff as well. clear as mud, right ;)

I went with DC Gold. These are a smaller US company that makes very high quality marine speakers.

All DC Gold Audio Drivers Are:
100% WaterPROOF
UV and Salt Water Resistant
Full Range (No Crossovers)
Spiderless (Less Resistance)
Light (Neodymium Magnets)
TOUGH! (3 Year Warranty)

I replaced my 2003 330 SS Kenwood stereo with a new Kenwood Bluetooth stereo. It was compatible with the existing wirings and also new rear of the boat remote. I was able to keep using the old cockpit remote with the new stereo too, but now I can also control my bluetooth music from my bluetooth device.

what was the model number of your replacement radio and wired remote. I am looking to up grade as well. 2006 330SS

Thanks

JL "M" speakers are awesome.. I am currently running to original Kenwood head and power set up.. Sounds great.

I added Bluetooth for about $25. on my Kenwood head (2007 34PC), there was an Aux input. I just plugged in a BT adapter to the aux input, gave it power (12v), and voila.... I have BT.

I replaced my 2003 330 SS Kenwood stereo with a new Kenwood Bluetooth stereo. It was compatible with the existing wirings and also new rear of the boat remote. I was able to keep using the old cockpit remote with the new stereo too, but now I can also control my bluetooth music from my bluetooth device.

You have tons of options many of which are good/great products and will result a great system.

I personally like the sound quality of JL speakers. My opinion is clean great sound go with JL. Great sound but very loud at a distance then Wet Sounds. If you want JL to play loud and clear go with larger speakers and more of them. The JL M880 is a great speaker as well as the M770.

Amplifiers, there are lots out there. My opinion, buy a well known brand to match the channel and wattage you want and you will be happy.

Head unit. I really like Fusion. You can set up the wireless network and run the remote of any android or apple device. If you want remotes mounted they offer that too. You can hook them up the your Nav system. Blue tooth, remote iPod drawer if desired, dvd if you want to hook up to your AV system. Lots of options with the zoning which i don't know if i could do without now.

Worst part is the installation of all this. None of its hard just frustrating at times. My suggestion is buy once cry once that way any installation doesn't have to be redone later if you choose another route.

Some really personal advice. It has been my limited non professional experience that money spent on speakers is easy to hear / notice vs the other stuff. And I like to run more power than the min recommend wattage. I run all my M880 with JL amps bridged to 200 watts i believe it is. Doesn't mean I'll use every watt but it does make a diff in the sound quality even at low level volumes. I am not a big proponent of the speakers all being a ear height. I have been on boats with 4 speakers, 2 in the roof and 2 in the side of the hard top and once the volume is up, a conversation is almost impossible to have on the boat, yet the stereo can hardly be heard on the dock or floating behind the boat. if you install more speakers than the typical stock 4, down lower like foot level is my preferred placement. The volume can be turn up to hear on the dock and its less intrusive for the people on the boat. This is not a perfect scenario but it is much more user friendly environment in my opinion.

Good Luck, No matter what you choose if it sounds good to you and your happy then its a win!

I am about to upgrade my OE Kenwood head unit, ditching the cd player and moving towards the Fusion RA 70. Paired with Rockford Marine speakers I should get decent sound and with the remotes allow guests to choose tunes from either Sirius or blu tooth phones.

Just picked up a Kenwood KDC 701 has two USBs, one aux, bluetooth with up to six device sharing and CD cause Im an old-head.

Recommend blue tooth extender for Kenwood unit in cubby

" I recently purchased a 2004 37PC. The Kenwood sound system is great except blue tooth range is also limited to the cubby. One foot out the cabin door and blue tooth connectivity is lost. What unit did you purchase for blue tooth extension to the helm or rear seating area?"

Back