Replacing Impeller on Yanmar 6LY

La Cozzi Vita

Hello fellow Yanmar owners,

I am due for an impeller change. Has any one had real world, hands-on, experience replacing the impellers on the 6LYA's?

Last edited:
I don't change impellers myself. I can tell you that port side is not to bad.The problem is starboard side. Due to its location very little access. I use yanmar mechanics for the job and they have a difficult time. I pass and will pay for that job. Good luck.

I just changed my Port side, I'm going to do the Starboard side this winter. The best method is to remove the entire pump and change it once its out. Getting the hoses to break free and undoing the bolts is a frustrating experience but not technically difficult. I would plan on replacing the hose that comes out of the pump, I don't think you will manage to get it out without damaging it. I just cut it to help get it to loosen.

You will need some type of puller to get the impeller out. I bought a pair of pliers that were bent to help pry it out.

My mechanic uses two screw drivers to remove the impeller. He just pushes one into each side of the impeller and pries them up.

I also suggest you pay the money. Unless you can fit into the small space on the starboard side and have excellent dexterity and patience. My mechanic also says its the worst recurring job on the boat.

Brian

Back