Formula Jr. project

Woobs

Just acquired an early Formula Jr. ('64/'65) said to be Hull #2.
Looks like a big project for a little boat :) Plans for a 347 SBF w/mod Alpha drive

Attachments

• IMG_20160521_114434153.jpg
    IMG_20160521_114434153.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20160521_114455134.jpg
    IMG_20160521_114455134.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Rescue: stage 1. Removed the project from it's long time Key Largo, FLA "home" to a safe enclosure awaiting pick-up and transportation to Canada... Of course this was done with help from a friend (and kindred spirit).

Okay, so the project still looks like a big POS and a $$$ sponge... But, at least it's moving! And, if you have a few drinks, squint just the right way and use your imagination, it's starting to look cool-er...ish :) .

Attachments

• 1 Seanzi4.jpg
    1 Seanzi4.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 1 Seanzi5.jpg
    1 Seanzi5.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 70
  • 1 Seanzi6.jpg
    1 Seanzi6.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 78
So we just got back from our 6000 km trip to bring the Jr. home to Toronto from Miami. We played hide and seek with hurricane HERMINE the whole trip but, we managed to get in a little R&R too.

Once home I started to clean the dirt out of the boat. I scooped out six 5 gallon pales of soil, leaves, beer cans, seashells, bones, old rusted parts and other miscellaneous crap. At this point it was just too easy (but also messy) to start pulling away the rotted floor panels and wood debris... another four 5 gallon pales of rotten, near sawdust material, plus some plywood/fiberglass remnants.

I removed the cockpit tub as the lounge seating was going to go anyways and the tub was also rotten. By yesterday the bilge was clean enough to vacuum. Unfortunately, the boat must go away for a few days as I clear space in the garage and build a dolly to ease work on the project.

Clearly, this is a mammoth project!

Attachments

• IMG_9266.jpg
    IMG_9266.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_9270.jpg
    IMG_9270.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_9276.jpg
    IMG_9276.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_9271.jpg
    IMG_9271.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_9300.jpg
    IMG_9300.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_9305.jpg
    IMG_9305.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9311.jpg
    IMG_9311.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9316.jpg
    IMG_9316.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9295.jpg
    IMG_9295.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_9315.jpg
    IMG_9315.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Clearly, this is a mammoth project!

Understatement of the year but my hats off to you for tackling this project and keeping the old 'Bird alive. I'm really intrigued by the use of a SBF (I'm a Ford guy), was this the factory power plant?

Like I mentioned time and time again I love working on my boat BUT a project like that would put me in the nut-house LOL, people like you always have the cool boats (classics) that we all would dream of, I have to stick to store bout boats, if I took on a project like that….. Well let’s just say there would nothing but toothpicks left LOL, Good luck my friend

I'm really intrigued by the use of a SBF (I'm a Ford guy), was this the factory power plant?

I believe there was a V8 with an OMC drive.... but which manufacturers V8, I really don't know . I chose the Ford because it is narrower/lighter than the Chev and the cool motors back in the day were Holman Moody Fords!

A project like this is as much about therapy as anything else. It took me 5 years to restore my woody boat. It keeps the little kid in me dreaming and the old man I am busy. Truth is, it's really not so bad when you already have a boat that works.

Here's my woody (Greavette)

Attachments

• GreavetteGravenhurstxx.JPG
    GreavetteGravenhurstxx.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
That boat is beautiful very very nice, like sed before people like you always have the cool boats (classics) that we all would dream of, and no never had the patience for a project like that if it takes more than a month it not for me, and because of that I will never be one of the cool guy with a cool classics……LOL

Since returning with the boat from Florida, I had to completely clean out the garage as there was barely a path big enough to walk through. Next, I had to build a dolly to support the hull during the restoration. Mission accomplished on both accounts.

This deal started about Mat 17, and was confirmed May 28. Today Oct 1, the Formula Jr has finally made it home and in the garage. Tomorrow the deck comes off!

Now we are really starting
smile.png

Attachments

• IMG_9418.jpg
    IMG_9418.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_9422.jpg
    IMG_9422.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 45
I was wondering the other day how this project was coming along, nice to see the progress Woobs. Keep the pics coming!

Well, the deck is OFF. Not too difficult really. As the cockpit tub had already been cut out and all the wood coring has long since filtered itself out as dust (it really is hollow) it didn't weigh much at all. So, we just lifted it off by hand and stood it on the wall.

Somewhat disconcerting though, is the transom. It sure ain't flat! In fact, it's far from it. The top is curved over in parts and I have seen less waves with a tide coming in.... I'll have to think about this.

Also, the gunwale joint has no re-enforcement, bends or other strengthening features. It was just riveted to the deck lip with a lap-joint. More sleepless nights?

My attitude at this moment is one of "How do you eat an Elephant?"
Of course the answer is one bite at a time. So, let's remove more of the old crap still in there and get to cleaning this hull up to a point where it becomes a good base to start from!

Attachments

• IMG_9433.jpg
    IMG_9433.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_9434.jpg
    IMG_9434.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9435.jpg
    IMG_9435.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9436.jpg
    IMG_9436.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 51
It's fall here in Southern Ontario. today 13*C and heading for single digits quickly. This means no fiberglassing until spring. So, I'll be spending the few decent days left just cleaning out the hull, grinding, sanding and doing general preparation.

I have decided not to cut out my transom until spring as the hull would be in an unstable condition that could affect its shape over time. So I will have nothing glamourous to report for a while.
I am researching epoxy resins though. If anyone has a thought on their favourite please let me know which one and why you like it.

Sorry we won't see much progress for a while, we still have a few more good weekends here in the Mid-Atlantic :cool:

Well, it may be too cold to fiberglass.... but, I scored a donor motor today! FORD baby, YA!

Couldn't say no at the price. I was planning on building from scratch anyways, now I have motor mounts, brackets, plates and all manner of hardware sorted :).
I'll guess I'll be busy this winter anyways.

Attachments

• IMG_9467.jpg
    IMG_9467.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 43
Love it! Especially the Mercruiser valve covers. I had a two barrel Holly on my old 390 back in the day, it worked well (500 cfm if my memory is correct).

I plan to make this a 347 stroker...I already have some HM exhaust manifolds but, can't decide on ignition, induction or cooling... well, I have time :)

I had to get the lump off the back of my truck.... so that means NEW TOOLS! 2T crane from Princess Auto :)
Started pulling off a few things too.

Attachments

• IMG_9468.jpg
    IMG_9468.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9469.jpg
    IMG_9469.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 35
It was a nice day today for working in the garage... and since I finally have the Woody boat winterized, and all the little jobs done, I treated myself to a day of quality time with the Formula Jr.

We're still in destruction mode as I removed the front part of the floor and pulled the old fuel tank. Still lots to do that I can get done before it's too cold. There was (and still is) a great mess of some white silicone around the fuel tank and its supports. This crap is actually gooey like soft chewing gum but, has even less strength. . I have to scrape it off and it stinks! Looks like a few more buckets to go to the dump.

With the floor removed, I can really see the hull deflect when pressure is applied. I might have to rethink my dolly and move to a custom cradle.

Attachments

• IMG_9472.jpg
    IMG_9472.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9479.jpg
    IMG_9479.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9483.jpg
    IMG_9483.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 37
Well,
it looks a lot better today...
Just some cleaning up to do of the edges of the former floor and the last couple feet of the stringers/engine mount to do before winter.

Attachments

• IMG_9487.jpg
    IMG_9487.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 39
Cool project. Fiberglass work spooks me. I'm with 280, I have to buy things already done. I like watching though.

Back