To order paint or not? This is tough.

FastMarkA

I'm about to place an order for a new Formula.

I go back and forth between selecting a white hull (w/ accent stripe), or a colored hull (likely metallic blue/silver).

Curious to hear thoughts on those who got paint and regretted it, and vice versa.

Right now, I like the full hull paint, although I certainly do like the white hull boat too.

Repairing Imron could be a challenge (as evidenced by the existence of this sub-forum :)).

And then there's the question of age...will metallic blue look dated in a few years' time when there are newer and more desirable colors? (I realize a blue boat has always been a thing, but white is definitely more timeless.)

So many factors to weigh...

I chose the white hull because no one can see if you bumped the dock. All colored hulls are white underneath and scratches will show as white. Just my opinion.

So the paint is really tough, and I love my blue hull...

Yes repairing is a challenge for sure....

If I had to do it all over, I would do my same hull, it has stood the test of time.

It is also easier to keep super shiny and it will not oxidize like FG.

But to each his own and best of luck!

White with blue accents is a timeless combo. 20 years from now, if maintained, will still look like it just rolled out the factory. buddy has an 89 26 pc, white, blue, and grey looks better than most new boats on the water going on 27 years.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 292_26.jpg
    292_26.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 279
I have a blue hull, After 10 years the imron still has a great shine. After 2 hurricanes and docking and assorted other instances I have quite a few scratches that are all white. I would not buy another dark colored hull.

This is the great feedback/insight I was craving, thanks all.

Timelessness and ease of repair are the strengths for the white hull (it also looks good, too!).

There's a richness with a dark hull that I still like, however, which pulls me in that direction.

I realize with white or blue, there are going to be scratches and repair will be required. It's just much easier to repair white over the Imron.

It's also $5k I can put towards fun options...after all, when I'm on the boat, I never see the paint...only other people get to enjoy it! :)

There is a misconception about the paint on the formula hull. The color paint is " chroma premier" by DuPont, the clear coat is "Imron". I've heard the color is easy to blend since there is no fading, the clear protects the paint from the weather. Very easy to maintain. Either way you choice you can't go wrong

Here's a photo showcasing the water reflection on the silver painted hull.. and this paint is 10 years old.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150711_111401.jpg
    20150711_111401.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 172
Back