Thinking of buying a 26pc what do I need to know?

bma1977

Thinking of buying a 26pc what do I need to know?
I am looking at a 1989 26 pc. Overall the boat is in great shape. It is powered by a 454 big block and the drive was updated to a bravo 3 with the dual props. What do I need to know/ look for as far as common problems? The boat spent most of its life in fresh water. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Brian

Maintenance records, has it spent most of its life in Fresh water or salt water. Fresh water boats tend to have less corrosion as salt eats away at everything mechanical. Check wiring and electrical to see if there has been a lot of DIY modifications that could cause problems. check for water lines in the bilge, if found ask about them as that could lead to rotten stringers, which is a major structural problem. Look for repairs made in the fiberglass or cracks that have not been repaired. There are bound to be some cracking such as spider cracks from impacts, but look along the chines and lifting strakes for any signs of cracks, which could also indicate structural problems.

You asked this question over on iBoats as well . . . right?

Let us know how things proceed. If you are not familiar with inspection processes from boats, you might want to have it inspected by a marine surveyor.

Back