350 CBR cockpit cover

twarble

has anyone come up with a lightweight alternative to the factory cockpit cover? the one from the factory is pretty heavy and makes for quite the chore to get it on/off if you're using the boat frequently. i was thinking maybe just get the Eisenglass curtains which are at least in pieces and light, but then you have the care and maintenance of Eisenglass. also, not sure how easily that stuff stores....where do you keep it? on the bed? or perhaps just some lightweight canvas, either replicating the drop curtains (again in pieces at least), or as a replica of the cockpit cover?

any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
twarble

Twarble. I don't have a solution for you. I too have a 350 CBR. I use both the bow and cockpit cover . I only use the eisenglass when we're sleeping on board to make a big enclosed space as I also have a hardtop. I store my eisenglass on the bed. I like to keep the eisenglass pieces as flat as possible.
With respect to the cockpit cover---yes, it's heavy. But for me it' is having a really good system for rolling it up and storing it in the front locker and then how I unroll it when I am placing it back on.

As this is my first season with the 350 CBR, I've been experimenting with my assortment of covers (I have the camper/full enclosure and the "heavy duty" cockpit cover).

No doubt, the cockpit cover is heavy and never fails to generate a few sweat beads on my forehead when I'm putting it on, especially since it covers the windshield.

When removing, I tend to roll it from back to front and store in the large side compartment. The bow cover goes under the port bow seat.

I keep the eisenglass rolled up in the storage bag, which is also in the large side compartment.

The "light" cockpit cover snaps at the top of the windshield, but as much as it's a pain, I'm glad the "heavy duty" cover I ordered blocks the sun's rays from beating on the interior.

One of my complaints about this boat is its lack of large storage compartments. Lots of small ones, but I'd love to have one or two larger ones.

i'm leaning towards the Eisenglass for the front, and having a custom piece made for the aft section. i think a light weight piece from the arch to the back of the aft seat, even if it's in a few pieces, will be easier to manage, and do the job. i'm thinking this would be the weekend solution, and the heavy duty cockpit cover can go on when the boat is put away for extended durations.

i did figure out the rolling technique that you mentioned...but man is that thing a beast! thanks for all of the tips on how you're managing. much appreciated!

twarble

i'm leaning towards the Eisenglass for the front, and having a custom piece made for the aft section. i think a light weight piece from the arch to the back of the aft seat, even if it's in a few pieces, will be easier to manage, and do the job. i'm thinking this would be the weekend solution, and the heavy duty cockpit cover can go on when the boat is put away for extended durations.

i did figure out the rolling technique that you mentioned...but man is that thing a beast! thanks for all of the tips on how you're managing. much appreciated!

twarble

It sounds like you're after the full-enclosure option? (See mine below.)

The cover is great (even if a pain to put up and take down). We just did a 90 mile trip and even with 80 degree temps, it is nice to have it block the wind. (If somebody wanted a breeze, they could just use the bow seating.)

IMG_2485.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 48
kind of...i'm trying to avoid the really big pieces of Eisenglass for the aft section. i think for the front it makes sense because it can be used to get rid of some of the wind if need be...but we're open air folks and I can't imagine closing in the whole boat. the custom aft section i'm thinking of would be all canvas, no Eisenglass, and only used for overnight storage. this would also avoid any storage issues for the large aft section...easy up and down, fold and roll it up, stuff it anywhere. i might see if someone is willing to make it from scratch barring any other ideas...

kind of...i'm trying to avoid the really big pieces of Eisenglass for the aft section. i think for the front it makes sense because it can be used to get rid of some of the wind if need be...but we're open air folks and I can't imagine closing in the whole boat. the custom aft section i'm thinking of would be all canvas, no Eisenglass, and only used for overnight storage. this would also avoid any storage issues for the large aft section...easy up and down, fold and roll it up, stuff it anywhere. i might see if someone is willing to make it from scratch barring any other ideas...

Makes sense. Only thing I would say is if you ever get caught in some weather and need to get from A to B, it's nice knowing you can keep the cockpit enclosed and still have visibility.

That being said, the design of this boat is such that if the weather forecast isn't nice, it's best left at the dock.

The Formula aft cover is in three separate pieces connected by zippers; if you have one custom made, I'd highly suggest that because it's much easier to fold three pieces instead of a single mega-wide one.

I've seen boats with solid canvas on the back but it's definitely not for when your underway. I'ts a less expensive, easier to care for dock cover

So I just got the eisenglass for my 350 CBR and it is easier to deal with than the heavy duty cover that came with it. The front peices come with a large flat bag that I was able to get under the
mattress for a weekend trip and on the mattress for the day trips. The back peices come with foam rollers and bags that I just put under a seat

.20180821_122010.jpg
20180821_161430.jpg

Last edited:
So I just got the eisenglass for my 350 CBR and it is easier to deal with than the heavy duty cover that came with it. The front peices come with a large flat bag that I was able to get under the
mattress for a weekend trip and on the mattress for the day trips. The back peices come with foam rollers and bags that I just put under a seat

It never occurred to me to store the eisenglass flat under the mattress.

I don't want them on the mattress (I'm an "everything out of sight" kinda guy), but the mattress platform is carpeted so it's soft, and the pieces stay flat.

Another season and I still continue to stress out about putting on the heavy duty cockpit cover, but it does keep everything protected.

.View attachment 8835
View attachment 8836
How much was the eisenglass? Our boat didn't come with it and I've been thinking about getting that setup.

How much was the eisenglass? Our boat didn't come with it and I've been thinking about getting that setup.

I feel like the order sheet tick-box was about $3k.

I'm sure you can probably multiply that by 3 or 4 since it'd be "aftermarket." :)

(Or have a custom job done for less.)

On my last couple of Formulas I had dedicated isinglass bags that stored perfectly under the mattress. They had a soft interior to help prevent scratching. For the side and rear curtains it is best to leave it flat but I also am an out of site guy. Especially since you cannot control someone accidently scratching the isinglass laying on a mattress. So I use a swim noodle and a towel to roll the isinglass trying to keep any/all wrinkles out and to set up the towel or soft blanket in a way that protects the glass from zippers.

I did order a 'weekend' or aft curtain that is void of isinglass. I rarely run with the aft on so having a light weight sunbrella aft is way easier to handle and much lighter. Since you have nothing to scratch you can toss it in a ball on the floor or set up to be rolled up and strapped in place - never having to take it down. Then with the factory aft stored away and safe it is avail if you get caught in weather and need to enclose the boat and safely operate it with rear visibility.

As for the bow I did something similar. On weekends when I will be using the boat a lot I had canvas made that covers only the seats and is easier to quickly put on and off. I use the bow cover when I'm away from the boat for extended periods.

As this is my first season with the 350 CBR, I've been experimenting with my assortment of covers (I have the camper/full enclosure and the "heavy duty" cockpit cover).

No doubt, the cockpit cover is heavy and never fails to generate a few sweat beads on my forehead when I'm putting it on, especially since it covers the windshield.

When removing, I tend to roll it from back to front and store in the large side compartment. The bow cover goes under the port bow seat.

I keep the eisenglass rolled up in the storage bag, which is also in the large side compartment.

The "light" cockpit cover snaps at the top of the windshield, but as much as it's a pain, I'm glad the "heavy duty" cover I ordered blocks the sun's rays from beating on the interior.

One of my complaints about this boat is its lack of large storage compartments. Lots of small ones, but I'd love to have one or two larger ones.

Just re-read this as I was looking through some old posts for something in the past. With respect to storing the covers, I store first the bow seating area cover in the front floor locker in the bow (under the carpet---I unsnap one corner and then there is a handle to open the floor locker. With the bow cover folded neatly, the cockpit cover then goes on top of and am able to store both covers in the floor locker. Bow cover support poles are stored in the forward bow port locker in the rack in there and cockpit cover poles are stored in the starboard rear locker.

Hello,
I had the same issue with our 310 BR. Sunbrella cover with the rubber backing. Heavy as hell and a pain to install quickly. Were in SW Florida, rainey season now and have to cover all the time and the Sun is brutal. I hate crawling under the cover for the poles.

I thought about a custom cover, put it on paper and got some quotes. Was just installed yesterday. 2 pieces, front and back. Using existing snaps and zippers in bimini with a few added to the arch.
Very lightweight material called Hydrofend. Similiar to Weater Max. Breathable and highly water resistant. Pics below.

On another note for when we had our 34PC I also was tired of taking down the glass, lying it flat etc. Had sunbrella material made to replace the glass in the bow and also made a 2 piece for the aft. again connecting to the bimini. So all you did was unzip it roll it up and stow it. Quick, light and easy during the frequent boating season weather. Sorry dont have an pics for that but the aft looked very similar to below.

IMG_3579.jpgIMG_3582.jpg

Last edited:
For anyone who is interested, i have a short lightweight mooring cover for sale in the parts section for a 350 CBR. Feel free to ask any questions.

Back