Does this sound like a starter solenoid issue?

FTL_Alan

The boat has been on my lift all week on shore power and charger on. When I turn the starboard ignition, I only get a rapid clicking sound that only stops when I release the ignition. Tried parallel switch, no luck, same clicking. Opened the hatch to confirm the charger was on.. green light. I started troubleshooting by load testing the starboard battery. It was bad according to the battery tester. Replaced bad Interstate battery (31-MHC, CCA 950) with new starting battery from West Marine (Group 24, CCA 1000). No luck, still only the clicking. Tried parallel again, still clicking. Gave up and reconnected to shore power. I noticed that the charger is now reading 55-60 amps, indicating it's charging the new battery. Next I'll confirm the cables are tight at all connections. Any suggestions on other troubleshooting steps?

Last edited:
Screw driver, short out the positive cable on the starter to the Yellow/orange wire on the solenoid and see if she turns over... Make sure ignition key is off that way you don't start it.

Starter.jpg

Thanks for attaching the photo. Just to make sure I understand correctly, see marked-up photo.. have I circled the two bolts you described?

Capture.JPG

Yes. Correct. You are basically skipping the ignition circuit. You are putting 12volts directly to the solenoid. Bypassing everything. Try this 1 or 2 times. If she cranks then go back and try the key.

Thanks for confirming. I did locate the starboard starter. Its on the left side (as you face the front of engine, looking at main belt) underneath the manifold. Its a tighter fit than I imagined. Was able to snap a photo by extending my arm underneath and voice-activating the camera, but I don't see a way to find the solenoid and insert the screw driver to make contact to the hot wire on the starter. Time to call in the professionals.

.starter.jpg

I did find a related post that suggests I need to test the slave solenoid. Unlike the starter solenoid which I cannot reach, I can easily get to the slave.

Question: What is the procedure to bypass or test the slave? How do I use a wrench or screw driver? what am I touching on the slave? Should the key be in the ON position, or should I get a buddy to put the key into the start position as I do the test?

Here's the post I found:

Re: Starting Issue

It does appear to be a problem with the slave solenoid. Had the wife hold the key in the "start" potition and tapped the solenoid with a wrench. Engine started cranking everytime. Going to pull the old one today and order a replacement.

Back