Replacement air conditioner

Johnnyboy110

So I bought an 88 29pc last year that had a bad ac unit. I did some research and found that a 12000btu unit was an option for this size boat. Problem is there are quite a few different brands out there. I was hoping some of you could give me some real experience with a few different brand. What's good, what to stay away from. The unit in the boat now is a "Marine Air(rrrr)". I noticed there is a brand "Marinaire" but it seem kinda gimmicky with built in gauges and such. I want to keep this boat for a long time so I would like something I don't have to worry about for a long time. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Last edited:
Best to replace it with the same brand unit. I'm no mechanic but if you can keep the same components and just replace the compressor your ahead of the game. The newer units are definitely more efficient than the older ones. If your replacing something like a/c go with a company that may have service calls in your area. My experience is that the marineair units are reliable. Good luck.

Dometic is the primary manufacturer of AC units for boats now. I think they are the OEM for Marine Airrrr.

Thanks for the reply but the compressor is good in my boat. The problem is the evaporator coil has a massive leak in it and I feel like if I repair it I will just find another leak due to the condition that it is in. It is very corroded.

I have the same boat and just powered it up last week for the first time. Blower Motor sounds seized on mine. It was from Marine Air Pompano Florida 12,000btu. Dometic bought them. I also saw the marine air one west marine sells it and they are made in China. Called NaiticAire they say they can probably get a replacement blower for me.

Can you let me know how you got the old a/c unit out? I see there are two brackets on the port side and cannot see how you can reach them to get it out?

Thanks

Mike

Back