NGK vs AC Delco plugs?

vmaxhp

Hey y'all. So, the NGK iridium plug is about $7 vs more than 2x for the AC Delco. Anyone have experience with NGK, good or bad, on your boat?
Thanks,
Rick

I usually went with the factory plugs.
Go to a local parts store and ask them to pull several plugs for the same application and compare them.
It will surprise you how different they are.
Plugs are sold based on thread and heat range, not the position of the electrode in the cylinder.
Also the AC plugs are probably stainless for the marine application. Wait until after a couple of years and try to take the non stainless ones out.

I usually went with the factory plugs.
Go to a local parts store and ask them to pull several plugs for the same application and compare them.
It will surprise you how different they are.
Plugs are sold based on thread and heat range, not the position of the electrode in the cylinder.
Also the AC plugs are probably stainless for the marine application. Wait until after a couple of years and try to take the non stainless ones out.

Never fouled a NGK plug. Have fouled some AC. Put some anti seize on the threads no problem coming out

Thanks. I'll give that a shot. The NGK iridium plug is $7 vs $15, x 16 plugs! I might also change plug wires. Again, AC wants a LOT for the wires. Meanwhile, Sierra is $44/set

Never fouled a NGK plug. Have fouled some AC. Put some anti seize on the threads no problem coming out

I recently went with NGK ITR4A15 which at $10 each were a no brainer. [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 100.000000%)]
[/COLOR]

Just installed AC Platium in my 496Mag HO's. They seem to be fine.

AutoZone has a $2 rebate per plug. $32 back at $7.95 each. Not too bad. Plus I am a rewards member, so an additional $20 store credit!

Dave

2 other online vendors for AC spark plugs
Rockauto.com
Summitracing.com

Both also stock aftermarket Standard Motor Products IAC control valves for my 6.2 MPI at 1/3 the cost of Merc.
Better to be prepared and buy a spare since they are so easy to replace.

Dave

Sounds good! For what it's worth, I spoke with Mercruiser and asked about NGK equiv. They said while they do recommend NGK for some applications, not for this one. So, AC 41-983

Just installed AC Platium in my 496Mag HO's. They seem to be fine.

AutoZone has a $2 rebate per plug. $32 back at $7.95 each. Not too bad. Plus I am a rewards member, so an additional $20 store credit!

Dave

Yep, 41-983 Platinum is what I did. Also, my buddy says that Raylar (the 496 guru) recommends to gap at .050 not the book gap of .060.

Again, I followed that advice and things are running smoothly!

Dave

Thanks! Autozone has a 10% discount for ordering online, and there's a $2/plug rebate right now!

Yep, 41-983 Platinum is what I did. Also, my buddy says that Raylar (the 496 guru) recommends to gap at .050 not the book gap of .060.

Again, I followed that advice and things are running smoothly!

Dave

Back