1989 242 bravo one 7.4

sailorlen10

My stock bravo one mercruiser 7.4 stern drive is leaking gear old from the tank into the bilge. Can't figure out how it's doing it. Don't see any leaks in the back of the motor. Can anyone help ??? I fill the tank, go for a 2 hour ride, come back still full, come back 3 days later tank is empty all the gear oil is in the bilge.

I had a 1991 242 . . . the bottle seemed to have tiny cracks in it (from being old) and would slowly leak down the transom wall and find a drain that led into the bilge.

A replacement bottle was a bit pricey, so I used a similar sized plastic water bottle and no more issue.

oilreservior.jpg

oilreservoir3.jpg

Temporarily put some paper towels under the bottle 9after you check and clean the oil if any is around it) and see if the oil gets absorbed by the towel. That will be proof that the bottle is leaking.

If that does not pan out, follow the oil line to the transom assembly and see if there are any cracks in the line (gets old and dry).

Follow the line, it gets cracks over time. Many times its where it connects to the transom, a real hard spot to get to

I like the water bottle trick, only thing is it doesn't have the one way valve in the lid

Has anyone relocated theirs? I have a 29PC, and my starboard unit is tucked behind the blackwater tank, and it's leaking! I am going to have to remove a lot of things just to get to it, so I am wondering if once I do get to it....I relocate it? I am thinking the length of the hose from the bottle to the transom should not matter as long as the bottle is high enough in the engine bay?

Back