GPS Speedometer

RonGrover

Has anyone ever replaced your old pitot tube speedometer with a GPS speedometer? I have a 2004 280BR and am considering an upgrade.

We replaced ours with a Faria GPS that does not need an external antenna. We liked it. It was nice to have an accurate speed and an accurate course readout. Sometimes it would take a minute or two to get satellite lock but that was fine since the benefits outweighed that issue.

Do agree GPS is the way to go, if your going to keep the speedometer.
My plan is to remove the speed-o and not reinstall. Been planning this for a few years just have not gotten around to do it. With a chart plotter there is no need for one. Have two additional gauges (water pressure and oil temp) installed so want to redesign the layout

What are you using to redo the dash panels????
Do agree GPS is the way to go, if your going to keep the speedometer.
My plan is to remove the speed-o and not reinstall. Been planning this for a few years just have not gotten around to do it. With a chart plotter there is no need for one. Have two additional gauges (water pressure and oil temp) installed so want to redesign the layout

What are you using to redo the dash panels????

The easiest would be poly resin and fiberglass, make it several layers, cut to fit, cut holes then paint. Think the way I will go is use epoxy resin and carbon fiber. Build the same amount of layers but no painting needed. The carbon fiber will show thru and give a nice look

Sounds awesome, pics please when it's done.
The easiest would be poly resin and fiberglass, make it several layers, cut to fit, cut holes then paint. Think the way I will go is use epoxy resin and carbon fiber. Build the same amount of layers but no painting needed. The carbon fiber will show thru and give a nice look

Unless you equipment to vacuum sandwich and compress I really wouldn't bother trying to recreate a CF panel especially if you want the weave to show through. I am doing a similar project creating a new panel for switch gear. Just buy CF plate and cut to size, trying to make it and preserve aesthetics lies heartache otherwise

Unless you equipment to vacuum sandwich and compress I really wouldn't bother trying to recreate a CF panel especially if you want the weave to show through. I am doing a similar project creating a new panel for switch gear. Just buy CF plate and cut to size, trying to make it and preserve aesthetics lies heartache otherwise

You might be right with it being easier, but a guy on iboats did one a few years ago and it came out great. Will have to try and find the thread. Been way to busy so don't think I'm going to do it this year, but did get some seats reupholstered and the guy did a great job matching the color and texture. Did such a nice job might think next year about getting everything done

Back