Garmin 7612 Antenna and Heading Sensor

Avalon

Hi all, just purchased a 7612 , it has an internal antenna like most do and during my research I read that some boaters use external antenna (Garmin 19x) also read where some boaters use a Garmin heading sensor.

Question: Does anyone have any knowledge on this? Thanks in advance.

I have the 7612 with just the internal antenna which seems to work just fine. I don’t know anything about the heading sensor.

my research yields; using the 19x though not needed has a faster refresh then the internal unit. And because my 41 travels at 35 knots its worth it.

Avalon, when I purchased my Simrad I inquired about an external GPS antenna. They said as long as the unit is open to the sky, the internal antenna is fine. The external antenna is only needed if there is a hardtop or unit mounted inside somewhere.

Sent using Tapatalk

I also have an internal antenna on my 7616s and it refreshes fine at 18 knots. I asked about the additional antenna and they were happy to sell it, however they also said it wasn't needed. Leaving for a 2 month venture on Feb 5th from Fort Pierce to Key West and then returning up the west coast and through the Okeechobee back home, if I notice anything will post.
I did buy the G2 Vision charts to cover the area, piece of mind as all new water for me.

Roberthoran
I have been planning to do the same trip. Not able to do it right now. Hopefully in the near future. I am boating out of Stuart.We have done a few trips to the west coast mainly traveled Sanibel to Sarasota.

roberthoran thanks for the info and yes you get auto guidance when used with G2 Vision. Also trip sounds like fun and you should start a post so we all can follow-up your adventure.
The Hemingway Triangle (Key West to Bimini, Bimini to Havana, Havana to Key West) is on my Bucket List.

Back