Vinyl wrap

Dash panels using 3M Dinoc. Cant speak for longevity as it's recent. Finish is good but high gloss and like paint will show any imperfections on the panel in oblique lighting. Really easy to work with. A budget fix but really if I had the skill or knew of a pro who was local would have preferred a wood veneer laminate. But that is a art form and takes tremendous skill to do it right.

Would I do vinyl wrapping again. Sure, on small surfaces. I would not on a door / large panel. I think it will then show off clearly as vinyl rather than a veneer. A dash or electrical panel breaks up that high gloss look and doesn't look out of place.

Last edited:
some of the panels in progress

TCSzBGi.jpg

Last edited:
looks good. I am going to do dash with carbon vinyl. may try the doors in cabin with wood. i saw a video of kitchen cabinets and doors

Looks really good was just thinking about the dash and was going to e mail TAG and see if they have any blank panels.

I did not wrap around the back as the 2mm fibreglass board gave a natural finish in keeping with what I'd expect to see and in my boat is unobservable in any case as my panels are recessed. The vinyl is quite stiff and card like given it's thickness and you would not be able to wrap it round the back without use of heat. I imagine it is easily done, just in my instance it did not warrant it, nor am I fortunate enough to live in sunny and hot climes where the adhesive may slip in the summer sun being UK based. That would be my only concern if you are Gulf based or similar and then I would wrap it around the edges. The adhesive is good though, I had to revisit one panel which I wasn't too happy with after a couple weeks, it stuck like dried porridge to a spoon!

I'm in the UK, so my answer wont really help you. 3M is world wide. But to be specific an auto shop in Poland and another from ebay.

I did not wrap around the back as the 2mm fibreglass board gave a natural finish in keeping with what I'd expect to see and in my boat is unobservable in any case as my panels are recessed. The vinyl is quite stiff and card like given it's thickness and you would not be able to wrap it round the back without use of heat. I imagine it is easily done, just in my instance it did not warrant it, nor am I fortunate enough to live in sunny and hot climes where the adhesive may slip in the summer sun being UK based. That would be my only concern if you are Gulf based or similar and then I would wrap it around the edges. The adhesive is good though, I had to revisit one panel which I wasn't too happy with after a couple weeks, it stuck like dried porridge to a spoon!

thank you
my panels are aluminum and grey, I sanded and painted black so all edges are black. I am going to wrap soon and will post pics

ah! When you cut / trim out the mounting screw holes be sure to cut the recess out too. When I but my first panel in I failed to do that. When the screw pinched tight it pulled on the vinyl immediately around the recessed head and bubbled it slightly. Thankfully a recover only takes minutes but if you've run out of vinyl you're scuppered. Should have been obvious but I was all too happy to get them on in a rush to see how it all looked.

Wrapped my dash with the 3M stuff as mentioned. New gauges too. Flat aluminum panels are pretty easy to duplicate so you can pretty much customize to your needs/taste. Never heard of wrapping the interior cabinets, has someone successfully done this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have an 04’ 330 SS that I will be looking to do the bathroom door in the same wood veneer. I am in NJ and will definitely make that an off season project. I am not sure if this is going to be something a vinyl wrap company will be able to handle or a specialty company.

Back