formulaboatsforum.com
July 29, 2014, 12:47:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 3rd Annual Formula Boats Rendezvous Golden Nugget Atlantic City Marina July 25th, 26th and 27th 
Click here for more info http://formulaboatsforum.com/forumtest/index.php?topic=5884.0

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing Air Conditioning in my 330SS  (Read 896 times)
Waterdog

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2010, 10:15:28 PM »

Does any have any experience with installing air in thier boat
#1 Mermaid air conditioning units claims you can run theirs with a 1000W Power Stat inverter while not hooked to shorepower, Does anyone have advise on this? I'm looking to be able to run the unit while underway and I don't have a Genset.

#2 I do have a Honda 2000w which they also claim will run the unit while on the hook

#3 if this works well, how is the best way to wire it up so it works with shorepower and the Inverter

any advise will be appreciated

06 330SS w/T 6.2 BIII
FormulaFanMN

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 10:31:37 PM »

You will have to determine how much draw the A/C unit is using first and then determine how long you want to run the unit off the inverter. 

There was a good article in the May 2010 issue of Motor Boating about inverters, sizing them, and selection.  I feel the generators Formula sizes are way over powered for the "normal" loads presented to them.  Most generators want at least 30% load minimum, but under normal conditions, you are never close to a 30% with a 7.3 kw that are used for the gas generators.

Inverters are awesome for lower drawing appliances not used constantly.  Also look into True Sine Wave vs. Modified Sine Wave.  True is more $$$, but worth it !

If you have a 2kw genset, I personally feel that is a better setup than an inverter for the A/C unit, but you will also have to determine IF you want to run the A/C unit while cruising also. 

With inverters, battery selection (size) is very very important.  Would recommend a Group 31 x 3 (not sure what you have for house batteries on your 330SS) as a minimum for batteries.
toofast

Instigator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 11:13:19 AM »

I can comment on the Honda Genny....in my last boat I had no Generator, it was a 27Pc, we could easily run our AC on a Portable Honda....

I can't remember the exact BTU's, but the cabin between the two should be similar.  so depending on exactly what AC you get, the portable genny should be fine.

As for hookup, I would just wired the AC to work plugged into the standard system, like on shore power.  Then connect the genny to your shore power in...will work great.

2008 31PC - Twin 496 Mag w/BIII Drives
Magic34

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 05:11:08 AM »

I installed a Mermaid Marine air unit on my last boat.  It was a 34' Magic cat.  I ran it with Honda EU2000 generator.  The inverter may fail on start up, running the unit after it initially kicks on may not be a problem, but the start up is where the big load happens first.  It is going to take a lot of battery to keep that thing running for any period of time.  You'll still need the generator to charge the batteries if running on the inverter.  I used to run the A/C and then also plug in the battery charger at the same time since the genny was running.

I installed some hooks in the engine compartment so i could strap the generator down.  When stopped, I would pull it out and with an adjustable bungee strap with locking clips, I would strap it on the swim platform with the exhaust facing out.  It will run for about 8 hours on a single tank of gas in the Honda EU2000.  Make sure you have CO sensors inside just to be safe too.

2005 Formula 370SS
Waterdog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 07:04:48 AM »

Thank you all!, it's been a big help hearing everyones thoughts and opinions.

06 330SS w/T 6.2 BIII
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: