formulaboatsforum.com
April 16, 2014, 08:48:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fresh-water holding tank  (Read 970 times)
Unforgettable

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2011, 03:42:01 PM »

What does everyone use to treat the freshwater holding tank water to keep the water fresh and clean.

I used to used tablets that I purchased from West Marine however they do not carry the tablets anymore.

I changed to AQUABON Drinking Water Freshener also from West Marine and have had nothing but problems with it. Most recently having to completely drain/rinse out the tank. A slim-like substance clogged the screen-filter just in front of the pump receptively.

The tank is now completely empty after rinsing out 3 time with a mild bleach solution and pumping completely dry......
Unforgettable

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 03:55:26 PM »

the original post should read. "repetively"......
toofast

Instigator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 03:58:16 PM »

Wow, I honestly don't treat mine....

Once I am fresh and clean, I just use all summmer long and really have no issues.  What is ok...I still use filtered water I get from home for coffee, etc.  But the water is safe to drink for sure and taste just like water coming out of the faucet at the Marina.  (i.e. not as good as home, but still plenty decent)

2008 31PC - Twin 496 Mag w/BIII Drives
island21638

2008 34PC 496 ci

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 05:11:26 PM »

One thing I never do is use a garden hose to fill, always use a fresh water hose only. That will help. I just bought the tabs from West Marine.They have them you just have to look. I also add about a 1/2 cup bleach in the beginning of the year to about 1/4 tank and run them run though right away and refill. Never had a problem and been doing this for years. I never let it sit for more than a day.
It seems most of the problem is on the hot water side, so run it though the heater real good. I also always use the hot water as often as possible to keep it clean.
Tim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 08:34:45 PM »

I use a dual water cartridge filter system at the dock, and nothing to treat the tank (besides a little bleach and rinse in the spring).

2007 37PC
Lake St. Clair, Michigan
Foggy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 06:37:12 AM »

Bleach is the key.  I add about 1/4 cup of bleach per tankful of fresh water.  Add the bleach through the hose so you can avoid moving the bed. 

2008 34PC 496 Bravo III
Formula Tenn

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 05:02:37 PM »

i get a bottle of Pure Taste i think it's called at Wal-mart.  add about 2 cap fulls for every tank.  everything stays nice and fresh.

"In Rare Form..."
'95 34 PC 502 V-Drives
Boating the Tennessee River
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: