400SS Prop Problems

CoolChange

I have a 2007 400SS with Volvo D6-350 diesels. Every since I took delivery the props chew up the blend rings causing both rub and cavitation damage to the prop. Volvo has replaced the rings twice and the props once. They say they are addressing the problem and to go ahead and run the boat with out them. Thats fine, but I feel the vibration due to the turbulence over the hub. Volvo will not talk to me direct, they just refer me to their service dealer. Formula has been all but nonresponsive since it is a "Volvo" problem, which disappoints me since I have owned four Formulas in the past 25 years. I have heard it is an isolated issue and that not every 400SS is experiencing it. Anyone having the same issue?

I also have a 2007 400SS with Volvo D6-350 with the same problem you're experiencing. As far as their claim to the problem being isolated, that is complete horse $hit. I good friend has a 2005 400SS with Volvo D6-350's and also has the same problem.

Since my first post, Volvo has send their local service rep out and decided that I do not have the "new" version prop on my boat. (even though a year ago they said I did.) I am now waiting for them to ship me new props which are supposed to have a stop ring in place to prevent them from sliding up on the hub and striking the blend ring. Volvo is also supposed to be making a new blend ring which is shorter and made of aluminum. They say the plastic ring flexes while underway and between the prop sliding up on the hub and the blend ring flexing out, this is what is causing the problem. So I ask Volvo if it is OK to run the boat while waiting on the new props? I was concerned that if the prop was moving on the hub enough to strike the blend ring that they might be exceeding the design limits of the hub and my concern is a possible hub failure half way to Key West. As of today Volvo has not responded to my concern.

Thanks for the input on additional forums. Also, a brief update on my problem, Formula's upper management finally got involved and are acting as an intermediary between me and Volvo. No explanation why they did not get involved sooner, maybe it was the word "attorney" in one of my e mails. LOL. At any rate I am slowly beginning to renew my faith in Formula. ( I have owed four in the past 25 years). Volvo Fed Ex'd a new prop set and modified blend rings down last week, but the rings didn't fit right. They have already Fed Ex'd a new set and we should be putting them on within the next few days. The details regarding this problem would be too much to explain in this forum, but if anyone is having this problem let me know. I have been involved in this since it was first discovered on the 400SS, and would be glad to fill you in on everything I have been through and discovered the past year.

This is my first year with the boat. I just realized the problem 2 weeks ago when I dry docked the boat. I called a good friend of mine who is an authorized service tech and he told me his 05 400SS also has the same problem. He is working on the solution with Volvo. I haven't checked back with him lately.

He has been dealing with this problem for 2 years with Volvo. He has also been going through the same headaches you have.

The problem is two different issues. First, the props Volvo used in this application are supposed to slip on the hub to help absorb the load caused by the more powerful engines and heaver boats. However, the "old" style prop slips too much and causes it to contact the blend ring located in front of the prop. The second issue is the blend ring is made of plastic and flexes due to the water pressure while underway. So even if the prop didn't slip up and contact the ring, it (the ring)would eventually rip off anyway. Volvo tried to cut down the blend ring(make it shorter), but the prop still contacted it. Volvo's solution is now a "new" style prop which has a stop in the hub to limit the slippage. They are also, making a blend ring out of aluminum which will not flex. Between these two items they hope to resolve the issue. Problem is the new blend rings will not be available until 04/09, so in the mean time they are putting on the "new" generation props with a cut down plastic blend ring reinforced with an epoxy to help it keep it's shape under pressure. My service dealer is supposed to install the props and rings this week. I'm lucky enough to live in Florida so I plan to test their fix this weekend. I'll keep you informed.

sorry if parts of this post seem repetitive.

I really appreciate the great information. Please keep me updated.

Unfortunately we are in Maryland and done for the season, so I'll live vicariously through you! ;D

Updating my prop issue: Volvo installed the "new" style props and modified blend rings. I have put approximately 5 hours on them mostly at cruise speeds. ( sorry everyone, but we are still boating in Florida). All seems to be holding with no signs of the blend rings being contacted by the props or tearing away. However, I have been running with light fuel and water. On the next suitable weekend we are going to top off the fuel and water and see if they hold up under a full load. It appears we are on the right track and Volvo is still planning to come out with aluminum blend rings in the spring.

This will be my last post on this subject, unless something changes. I have pretty much put my boat through the paces. I've run fully loaded(fuel and water) and made a hard offshore run this past weekend and all held in place. The new style props and modified blend rings are holding fast. It's good to have my Formula back! Volvo is still supposed to come out with a perminate replacement for the modified blend ring which will be made out of aluminum. At this point, anyone having this problem should be able to go through their Volvo service center for help. If your dealer is not familiar with the problem, just have him contact his Volvo rep.

Cool Change,

I was talking with someone about diesels in Formulas, especially the D4-300 with the DPH drives, and I asked if there were any known issues on Formulas and he did say that some of the problems were caused by Formula not installing the drives low enough in the water causing the cavitation ??

Have you heard about this before ??

When what he said, the problem is supposed to be fixed by installing the drives lower in the water.

I would love a pair of D4-300 with the DPH drives....

FormulafanMN,

I have not heard of any recurring problems regarding the height of the engine installation on any particular Formula model. The cavitation caused on my boat was due to the plastic blend ring becoming distorted due to the water pressure over it. The problem you mention sounds like it could be a trim issue. I would be interested in knowing what trim range and RPM cavitation was occurring. Also, a formula dealer or Formula Customer service might be able to tell you if anything is going on. ( although at first they kept my problem quite). Do you have gas now and want to re power with diesel. Now that my prop issue is over, I am and always have been very pleased with the performance of the Volvo diesel package.

The service tech was the one that knew about the prop problems with the DPH and Formulas and he was the one that said that the drives were not installed correctly and not being deep enough in the water.

From what he said, the problem has been corrected with correct installs from Formula. This is what HE said, and I was just inquiring about the D4 and DPH drives in general.

No, I would not repower my current boat, but would look at the D4 for a new Formula.

I've got a local Volvo certified tech working on the problem, but they are telling me that Volvo is being difficult to work with.

I've forwarded the contacts CoolChange provided to the tech.

Thanks for your help Joe!

What would be interesting is to see the design drawings for a later model 2008 or even 2009 400SS with the D6s and compare the drawings to your models on the engine / drive installation ?

Way Too Slow;

Hope they take care of you without much problem. Have your tech give Volvo the prop part number and manufacture code, which is the second set of numbers on the hub. If it falls before the "new design" was available, it should be a quick resolution. Hope you get it taken care of before season starts.

Back