Electronics

WizzyNoise

Both of my Raymarine E120 displays, installed at the factory in 2007, now have significant problems.

1 unit last year lost it's NVRAM. I can still use it as a full screen chart, but I can't configure the windows or save settings. every time I turn it on, it's a brand new default page. A pain, but I learned to live with it.

Just last week, my other unit backlight display burned out. it's now barely visible even in low light.

Curious on people's thoughts and experiences. Seems like I have 2 options: factory repair, which is probably 600$ each for the 2 chart plotters. Or, complete replacement. I'm waiting now for a quote from the big electronics outfit on Kent Island; they say they have 2 options, Garmin for less sophisticated users, or Simrad, for he-men like me who want more flexibility and functionality. This will involve replacing the 2 displays, the radar, the sounder, and the little multifunction display. They say I can have the Raymarine autopilot networked to the Simrads, since it's still working well.

Also, has anyone used forward scan sonar and if so is it worth it ?

What have people done ? If you've been through this, a picture would be nifty. thanks!

-peter

Last edited:
Hey Wizzy,
We should hang out because it sounds like we have all of the same issues. :cool: I went through all of this last year...

First, you sure Raymarine will still work on the E120s? I heard a few weeks ago that they had stopped working on that radar, and with the years being similar I was wondering if they stopped refurb work on the E's. I had been told last year that they wouldn't do it much longer. Oh, and in case you didn't know, they only give you a 90 day warranty on those fixes.

My first issue was with my radar. I think it cost about $500 to get it refurb'd, but that was about 3 years ago. Last year I just got fed up with how slow the MFDs were, and every once in a while I'd lose GPS lock...for no reason that I could figure out. I ran new cables for most of the stuff to try and fix it, a new GPS antenna, etc., etc. Then I decided to upgrade the stereo which included a Fusion head unit, and when I found out that it networked with the Garmin MFD's, I had my excuse!! :p

I went with an all Garmin install for a few reasons. First the Fusion link...which is just cool, but not really handy at the helm since the stereo is right there. But! I replaced the remote in the salon, and now I get all of my vessel data on that remote display...most importantly depth and speed to me. Let's me keep an eye on depth if we're on the hook.

Second reason was the ease of use that you described, and it's totally there. I love how easy they are to use. The maps work much like an iPad with pinch to zoom, etc. so anyone can figure them out quick. There are auto-modes that are really cool too for docking, running, etc. It allows you to change both MFDs screen with a single selection.

Third was the integration with WiFi, and the apps that were available. I have a dedicated iPad that I use for planning trips, and you can also use it to monitor/control both of the MFDs. I haven't stayed on the hook with this setup yet, but I imagine it'll be nice to check the chart/depth from bed. :cool:

I also replaced the VP engine displays with GMI20's because in the 5 years that I've had this boat, I've probably replaced 5 of them. Mostly they would lose their backlight, and they'd be impossible to see at night. Since they weren't serviceable, it'd be another $1400. Crazy. So, I put in an NMEA2000 converter for the engines, and now have the VP engines talking NMEA2k to all of the rest of my electronics. So much better! Love my GMI20's over the VP displays.

I also did the sounder, and the radar switched to xHD2 which is incredible...although I just read about the new CHIRP radars and they sound pretty impressive. Check out the article in last months Yachting if you haven't seen it. Oh, and the MFDs have GPS built in so I don't have to worry about that any more.

Finally with regards to the autopilot, I kept my Raymarine because it worked, and I didn't want to drop $7k on a new one. The down side is that the autopilot will hold you on a course...mostly...but it doesn't really have access to the rest of the systems, so you can't follow a route, or control it from the MFD. Also, I find that whenever you enable the Autopilot, it changes course by as much as 6 degrees. No idea why this is, but because it's the only system left of it's type, it has no speed sensor and it freaks out a bit. Also, you'll have a GPS heading on your MFD that has nothing to do with the one coming from the Autopilot. Neither item is a show stopper, but when I first went out, it was a bit depressing given how much I had just spent.

On forward scan sonar, I looked into this last year too. Decided not to do it just because it wasn't a must have, and I think the Kent Island guys talked me out of it. Keep in mind it's really only useful entering a marina, or channel or coming to anchor. I don't think it would even be in the water on our boats on plane...and if it did see something, you'd never have time to react.

Good luck with everything! Was like Christmas when mine was all done. :cool:

take care,
tw

Back