Anyone got a 311 that doesn't porpoise???

Ted

Both mine and my buddy's will above 40 without dialing in about 5 or 6 on the K planes. I got Bravos and 4 blades and he has a TRS boat with 3 blades. If you got one, tell me how it's set up.

My '89 311 with Bravos also porpoises. However, just a bit of tab and it stops. I've looked at the tab position from outside the boat when at position 4-5. Actual tab position is just slightly positive (down) compared to the hull bottom. So, even though it needs some tab, it doesn't need much. By the way, that's with the drives at nuetral trim.

These 311s are a bit tail heavy though, gotta be worse with TRS.

yup ...... Hydro 24's .... what i want to know is it not enough prop to hold the bow up ? or too much prop trying to lift the bow ....

My way overpropped bravo 311 (25 hydro QIV) porpoises like crazy. Also does it with Mirage 23s. Like everyone says 4-5 on tab and It goes away. With the drives all the way in no porpoise. Can pull the drives way out and lift tabs all the way also with no bounce

Guess I'm the odd man out here. Mine never has had that problem unless I trim the drives out too far for the speed I'm running. I can get it on plane, tuck the trim tabs all the way up and it will not porpoise at any speed.

I'm running basic 454 mags, Hydro Quad IV's with 24 inch pitch, Bravo one's, and have removed the silent thunder box and installed EMI Thunder aluminum exhaust system with Stainless Marine tips. Though even when the boat was "stock", I've never experienced that issue.

my 336 is purposing a bit when i trim to far @ cruising speed, but if i go faster it stays flat, i run the 25 mirage not the plus, with 1.36 gears.

FO what kind of drive trim are you running with the tabs pulled up? Maybe it's the Hydros?? I have access to a set of those, maybe when the water isn't hard anymore I need to give them a shot. I guess I should have clarified more. Mine won't porpoise if the drives are tucked way in, but if I trim out for best speed the nose bounces until about 60 or so. Of course since I cruise at 50 that kind of sucks. I know most of these were delivered with 3 blades and cleavers so I'm wondering if it's the newer props like the Bravo 4 blades that are causing it. Or maybe you're not supposed to trim out :p

I've got a 272 mine does it as well i've got cleavers. BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER and i had a long talk about this a week ago. he said he was going to try bravos on his 272 new years day. Maybe he can shed some light on this subject. ;D

Hey Ted look who joind the board buddy!! Anyway My 311 has TRS's and it does not stop unless I tab way down. Its no big deal to me but at the same time I dont like to feel I am working the boat that much.

Ted, sorry I took so long getting back. Once I'm up on plane and running, I just start trimming the drives out until it starts to porpoise, then just kiss it back to where it settles in. I always thought, like someone else already posted, if the boat is porpoising, it's working harder, and although minutely, slowing down when it's settling back down into the water. Anyone can get any boat to porpoise if they over trim the drives. Once on a calm day with dead flat water on Sarasota Bay, using GPS I purposely over triimmed just to the point it started to bounce then kissed, like your grandmother with whiskers,the trim back down so it smoothed out and lost no speed whatsoever. I checked it at different speeds always with the same results.

I've been running the Hydro Quad IV's for four years now and everyone else that has tried them, I believe has really liked them. I wouldn't consider running anything else.

Thanks for the reply, I need more seat time in this boat to get it right. It justseems like as soon as the boat loosens up and runs well, it hits some snot and starts porpoising. I can always dial it out with tabs, but then I'm losing 3-5 mph. Does fly a little flatter though ;D

Formula Outlaw said:
Guess I'm the odd man out here.  Mine never has had that problem unless I trim the drives out too far for the speed I'm running.  I can get it on plane, tuck the trim tabs all the way up and it will not porpoise at any speed.

I'm running basic 454 mags, Hydro Quad IV's with 24 inch pitch, Bravo one's, and have removed the silent thunder box and installed EMI Thunder aluminum exhaust system with Stainless Marine tips.  Though even when the boat was "stock", I've never experienced that issue.

They mean "IN" the water ............ ;D

offthefront said:
Formula Outlaw said:
Guess I'm the odd man out here.  Mine never has had that problem unless I trim the drives out too far for the speed I'm running.  I can get it on plane, tuck the trim tabs all the way up and it will not porpoise at any speed.

I'm running basic 454 mags, Hydro Quad IV's with 24 inch pitch, Bravo one's, and have removed the silent thunder box and installed EMI Thunder aluminum exhaust system with Stainless Marine tips.  Though even when the boat was "stock", I've never experienced that issue.

They mean "IN" the water ............ ;D
Damn Mike, I thought I was the only one supposed to rattle Russ's cage. :)

He called this evening, and I wanted to get him going on a rant, so Debbie's daughter could hear it. It didn't take long! ;D

i have a 302 with trs drives and if i trim the drives up to much i will porpuse but if trim up until i porpuse then touch them back in the water i stop and get a good cruise

Back