Installing bow thruster in a 370 SS

Rockatansky

I have commenced a project installing a Vetus 75 bow thruster in the front of my 370 SS from 2002. I have heard from the manufacturer that the boat is not really arranged to accommodate a thruster, but I’ve seen it been done before, so I’m willing to give it a try. Thought I would share some pictures on the forum.

Beneath the floor everything is filled with polyurethane structural foam, which is a bit of a struggle to get rid of. I also had to cut the bottom stringer to make room for the thruster tunnel.

B2.jpg

I also heard the 370 couldn't really accommodate one. Can't wait to see the finished project, keep us posted!

The hole in the hull was cut using a special rig for this kind of work, and the tunnel was fixed in position with filler.

B3.jpg

B4.jpg

And both ends were bedded in with several layers of fiber glass and resin.
We made an effort to build up as much as possible against the bottom stringer to maintain the strength of the structure.

B5.jpg

Is there room for the motor? will you need a small doghouse in the floor? Make sure to oversize the wire. 12V has extreme dropoff over 10'. Nice project

I've always wondered why one couldn't use a motor remotely, and have the intake wherever, then plumb the water to where you want it to come out at? Like a jet ski with a hose on it...? It would cost more and be more complex, but have a lot more flexibility for installs...

I've always wondered why one couldn't use a motor remotely, and have the intake wherever, then plumb the water to where you want it to come out at? Like a jet ski with a hose on it...? It would cost more and be more complex, but have a lot more flexibility for installs...

I actually like that idea

Interesting project . . . makes my extended swim platform project look tame.

I believe the doghouse stemming up from the tunnel should go up above the static waterline, so any leakage is not catastrophic.

Have you been in touch with TAG on this one? Just wondering if they have any pictures to share of the factory installation, even though they may not be a 37 PC.

Formula 370 SS - 2002 - 496 HO's
(Magnum 28 - 1980 - 496 HO)
(Scarab 21 - 1985 - 350 Mag)

Just noticed your tag line. A good friend at the time bought new, the exact same year and length Scarab you had. We had a lot of fun on that boat and gave me the boating bug. I curse him everyday for that LOL.

Last edited:
The propeller was installed as a test as well. I wanted the clearance to be perfect as there is not much space for the prop. It took some adjustment to get it right.

B8.jpg

B9.jpg

And here is the thruster engine permanently installed. As you can see surely a lot of leg space under the table is lost. In my case I'm willing to sacrifice that and I also wanted to have a straight up position of the engine to facilitate access and maintenance.

B12.jpg

Last edited:
Vote for the bat up front.
Don't know how much power it needs, and how it will be recharged. AGM charge faster and no out gassing

Back